Sunday, July 27, 2008

Jan Karon: Another of My Favorite Authors

I just finished reading Home to Holly Springs, the first book in a new series called The Father Tim Novels.

I have read all of the books in Karon's Mitford series, and I hoped that she would come out with a new series, however, it never occurred to me that she would do a "pre-quel" on Father Tim's life. I read the book in two days. I won't say I couldn't put it down, but I did get caught up in the mystery of the cryptic note that Father Tim received from an unknown person in his home town of Holly Springs. It simply said, "Come home."

Most of the critiques on Amazon are favorable, although some said they were disappointed that all the the Mitford characters were not in this story. Many of them were mentioned, though. And we are treated to a whole new cast of characters in the charming town of Holly Springs, MS. We learn something of Father Tim's family and childhood traumas, some of which are resolved in this novel. The new characters and story lines hold promise for subsequent Father Time novels.

If you have never read anything by Jan Karon, start with At Home in Mitford, the first in the Mitford series. The town and the characters remind me of the folks in Mayberry of The Andy Griffith Show.Most public libraries stock Karon's work, so look there first if you're short on cash for your summer reading.

http://www.mitfordbooks.com/

No comments: