Wednesday, January 12, 2011

52 Hymn Story Devotions by Lucy Neeley Adams

I got so many books for Christmas that I had a hard time deciding which one to review first. I chose this one, because it was first on my wish list and now first on my list of favorite devotional books.

I'm glad that Adams chose to draw attention to these great hymns of the faith. With the advent of contemporary Christian music, the "old" hymns are often given short shrift. Not only are the words to these hymns inspiring, but the stories behind them reveal the faith of those who wrote them. Their testimonies are as relevant today as they were when they were written.

Each devotion includes a scripture, a story about the hymn writer and/or composer, an excerpt from the hymn, and a prayer. Also included is the scriptural reference for the hymn, if applicable.

I enjoyed these as daily readings, but they would be great opening devotionals for choir or worship team rehearsals. The book would be a great gift for your favorite church musician or pastor, too.

Visit the author's website hereBuy the book on Amazon.

No comments: