Sunday, September 6, 2009

Let Go by Sheila Walsh

Subtitle: Live Free of the Burdens All Women Know
Thomas Nelson, $19.99





-->I don’t ordinarily read “help” books for women, but I chose to review this one for Thomas Nelson because I was intrigued by the title, Let Go. Because most of the women I know take emotional responsibility for many things that should be shared with others or “let go of” entirely, I was curious as to how the author would treat the subject. She chose to use the theme "deliverance," getting rid of those burdens.
First of all, I did not know that the author because I rarely watch the 700 Club, and I was not aware of her role as a speaker with Women of Faith. Fans of hers will probably like the book. So many books these days are published because the author is famous and has a following that will buy books.

I liked parts of it, but, for the most part, it was a chore for me to read. Each chapter begins with quotes and Bible verses followed by an anecdote. The remainder of each chapter dealt with the biblical basis for the chapter topic. The anecdotes drew me in, but I found myself yawning in mid-chapter in almost every case. So much of it I had heard before, and there was no new angle. The last few chapters seemed to hold more interest for me than the rest. Perhaps the book is just too long, or maybe the chapters themselves are too long.

Use the link above to go to the Thomas Nelson site, and take a look at the sample chapters. Perhaps it will appeal more to you than it did to me.

No comments: