Monday, June 13, 2011

Riven by Jerry B. Jenkins

Most people know Jerry B. Jenkins as the author of the Left Behind series.

Even if you are not a fan of Jenkins' earlier works, give this one a chance. The style is totally different, and the characters are much more developed. And, for those who wonder what "riven" means, according to Dictionary.com, it means "to tear or rend apart."

The story traces the development of two main characters. Brady Wayne Darby is the disadvantaged and rebellious youth who messes up everything he comes in contact with. Finally, he ends up on death row. Rev. Thomas Carey is a has-been pastor who takes a job as a death-row chaplain, where he becomes Brady's spiritual mentor.

The book is very long with a number of characters to keep up with. I almost lost interest a couple of times, but I made myself continue reading. Brady is redeemed at the end, but I won't spoil it by telling you how it happened. There were many points in the book where I could have put it down and left it for days, but not during the last few chapters. Suffice it to say that I found that part riveting.

You can purchase the book on Jenkins' site or from Amazon.com.

No comments: