Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Chasing Mona Lisa by Tricia Goyer & Mike Yorkey

This book was offered free on Kindle one day, so I "bought" it. It's a World War II suspense-thriller with a bit of romance thrown in. It's set in Paris in 1944 just as the Allies come to liberate the city. The story revolves around members of the French resistance and a couple of Swiss undercover agents.

The famous painting, the Mona Lisa, is in hiding because the French do not want their most famous occupant of The Louvre to be stolen in the chaos of war. Reischmarshall Goering, one of the highest-ranking German officers, plots to locate and steal the piece through various shady characters he employs. The story is exciting and, as far as I know, historically accurate. There's plenty of danger and excitement as the heroes work to save the Mona Lisa.

I had a hard time getting into the story, but once I did, the suspense kept me reading. I enjoyed it so much that I plan to read more of Tricia Goyer's work. I became interested in her through her blog, http://triciagoyer.blogspot.com/. She has done of a lot of research with primary sources, people who experienced WWII personally. Check out her WWII Liberator series on her site here.
Hard copy available on Amazon here. Buy the Kindle version here.

No comments: